Racing to Keep our Earth Green
By Safety Sam
In honor of Earth Day, The NASCAR Foundation partnered with NASCAR, International Speedway Corporation (ISC) and Daytona International Speedway to participate in multiple activities to help keep our earth green.
The NASCAR Foundation, as part of NASCAR Race to Green, visited Halifax Health’s Keech Pediatric Neighborhood Care to educate young patients on the best ways to help keep our earth green. Each child received a tree sapling, a clay pot and instructions on how to make the tree grow into adulthood. While the patients were excited to learn about how trees can help our environment, seeing Safety Sam, who was rocking his NASCAR Green shirt, was the real treat.
In addition, The NASCAR Foundation partnered with NASCAR, ISC, and Daytona International Speedway in a community beautification project in Daytona Beach. Due to the damage and destruction caused by Hurricane Matthew last year, many of the trees in the City of Daytona Beach had to be torn down. More than 30 trees and 250 flowers were donated to Riverfront Park and City Island and planted by employees from all four organizations.
How are you helping keep our earth green? Safety Sam has some tips for you:
- Unplug electronics or appliances you aren’t using. Electronics that are plugged in but off are still using energy and burning fossil fuel which creates more pollution in our earth.
- Save Water! Turn off the faucet while you brush your teeth. Reducing the amount of water that is wasted helps protect the wildlife in rivers and wetlands.
- Recycle old items! Recycling allows us to conserve natural resources such as water, timber, gas and oil. Did you know you could make craft projects using old items such as turning plastic bottles into a homemade bowling kit?
- Improve the outdoors by planting flowers and trees! One large tree can provide four people with a day’s supply of oxygen.
- Donate your vehicle! Donated vehicles help save 50 football fields worth of landfill space every year and they help The NASCAR Foundation provide access to medical care to children in our racing communities. Click here to find out more about our vehicle donation program.